Wednesday 1 June 2016

SigmaAtom's Guide to 'Comping on your Class'

Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Hi guys

Many players have more than one armory, having two DPS armories, allows for one armory to integrate features for raids from your class.. let me explain.

Comping is Compensating, to 'Comp on your Class' is to use the advantages available to you due to having access to your other role.


Powersets

Tank Classes:
Fire
Ice

then*
Atomic
Earth
Rage

Tank Class DPS, this means your primary role is Tank, no matter if you use the Powerset to only DPS.This is becuase all Powerset's share the ability to be DPS role.

Tank DPS comping is different to the other two classes, as it is access to the Tank gear that's used to comp, while for controller and healers, it's the extra abilities.

My Tank DPS has 4 pieces of Tank armor in DPS stance.
Head + Might (VII)
Neck + Might White Mod
Chest + Might + Power (VII)
Legs + Might + Power (VII)

I'm fully Modded and White Modded.

Each Powerset has things it's good at, for example Fire is a mix of healer and tank, although you only heal yourself. Ice has great defense even in DPS stance. Rage is *in someways* a mix of controller and tank, so much so, it is known as the 'mob tank'. For Earth comping, I switchout my DPS shield for 'Reinforce' its a prec buff but adds crit chance. I use 'Word of Power' and WM, leaning on crystal to do the most of the grunt work, while I PoT-Shield her, focusing on my WM as Earth doesn't have a AM for power back. Comping on Tank class reduces your overall performance but increases your survivability.

(I also use maxed out lair backup and OMAC trink + Blossom, the lair backups benefit from reinforce buff)

Healer Classes:
Nature
Sorcery

then*
Celestial
Electricity
Water (upcoming)

We are mixing our support role with DPS for a mix of versatility and burn (Damage). For Sorcery my comp DPS is, Boon of Souls (shielding), Word of Power (PoT myself and the group), Rejuvenate (Priority Heal) , Offering (PoT Shield pet) and Watcher.. this is the Sorc Tank pet. I realize this is specific to Sorc, but having a Priority Heal, Group Shielding* and Word of Power as it's available to all Healer Classes in DPS stance will assist in support.

Controller Classes:

Gadgets
Mental

then*
Light
Munitions
Quantum

Much like Healer comping, except you are using Charge instead of Priority Heal*.
Note: I just tested online with Sigma and for some reason I could not charge my group member.
More testing is required.
Having SC's for both DPS and Support will give you access to things you probably wouldn't have in your main DPS or Support loadout.

I hope at least I've given you a reason to buy another armory and try a mix of support and DPS roles.

have a great and bizarre day!

Sigma



* * *free and non-free
*Water is unknown, but as group shielding is included in all the other Healer Classes, seems highly probable.
* I just tried doing this with Mental but it did not work. but I know it worked with Hard Light before I switched in March. It *may be* that Charge in DPS stance is not available to Controller Class DPS's if that Powerset has AM.


A Rough Mini-Guide to General Powersets
--------------


Tank Classes:
Fire
Ice

then*
Atomic
Earth
Rage

Serums (upcoming)



Fire
-----
Fire is a mix of Tank and Healer, as odd as that combination sounds, it's actually smartly done. However, you only have one group heal, called 'Inferno'*, but you also have PI* of many self heals. Inferno grants 'Immolation' PI to yourself and all near-by allies.

Notes from a Vet. I used to play with a Fire DPS, he was the 'first' First Officer of ORS*, Inferno from him would give you upto 5 ticks of heals and upto 5 ticks of power, he was cr 70, this was back in 2012. The heal and power was very light, but was very welcomed as you didn't expect someone of his class to do that. I now have my own Fire DPS, cr 76 as i write, while that isn't a lot of experience, I would guess, if my CR + SP were high enough, I could comp as quisi-healer to the front line. I don't know if Inferno still gives group members a little power back, but I imagine that was a glitch at the time that has now been worked out.

Fire is said to be nigh invincible in 1v1 PVP, however a good Ice Tank will give Fire 'a run for it's money'. Also you need an *excellent* loadout and have your PI 'down to a T', or when you run out of power, you'll go down just like anyone else.

Ice
-----
Ice imho, is a mix of Tank and DPS, used to be known as the 'Shield Tank', and as Tank it still *can* take a decent troller at your back to aide you. The DPS side, which I have an alt as, is remarkable, for the fact that once you activation Ice Armor (and keep it going) even in DPS stance, your defense is very strong, I wouldn't say tank like, but out of all DPS, innately, by far probably the strongest.

Has a few control effects also, but I found out-and-out DPSing easy enough, I didn't use them often.
Great in PvP arenas, near unstoppable.

Atomic
-------

Atomic is a mix of a little of all roles. having self heal, CC, and 20% damage absorbtion from your aura from incoming attacks.

Notes: Atomic is great in PVP *if* you run with other atomic players, as afaik, the effects stack together with each player. I have seen two atomic players* take down an Ice Tank.. the look on his face haha! he came back to repeatedly give us 'no way' emotes haha. He was wearing 100 gear and fully modded.

I've never played with or as an Atomic Tank, as most use Atomic for DPSing... mm.. maybe once in DP Alert, Sammy* tried it, was OK.

Earth
-------
I have a lot of experience Earth Tanking these days. Earth imho is a straight out Tank OR straight out DPS, depending on which pet you use.

Tanking VERY easy to understand. give the pet power, work on your aggro. stick to the basics.
having some sort of self heal and Word of Power in there i find, helps too.

DPSing.. again very easy. work on your WM. give the pet power.
I use my PI often during WM, give crystal a hand. I also use the precs boost 'Reinforce'.. this means she will have a precs boost while building power, and you will too for your WM while you wait on your CTD for her PoT.

I'm no expert on PvP in general.. but I didn't find Earth that great in arenas. only tried a few times and got embarrassed though. imho Amazing for PVE.

Rage
--------
Rage imho is a mix of Tank and Controller.. much like Hard Light is a mix of Controller and Tank, but we'll come to that later..

Rage is known as the 'Mob Tank' with good cause, for Rage controlling mobs is pretty easy. 'Ragebringer' is a great example of the 'controller' side of Rage, the mobs don't have a choice but to come to you.

Rage is quite a complex power.. for those who can master it, well done, myself and a few others find it difficult. but I *am* working on an Rage alt level 14 atm, and Zigma was Rage until I gave up and switched powers, I had gotten him to T4 back when the highest cr was 106.



Serums
----------
Serums is an upcoming powerset, as per, not much is known, but as it's based on Bane, you would think it would be 'gadgets-like' as it's Batman related. it's said at the time of writing to be a Tank class..however Atomic was originally meant to be a healer class, so who knows?


---------------------

To sum up Tank classes.. they are all well made, well thought out, and can be used effectively.

Fire right now for PVE DPS, is considered a little low in (ironically) 'burn', however, I wish to see for myself at end game what I can and cannot do. I had made him just for PvP 1v1..but im having so much fun with him, im curious. also that seasonal pollen aura looks rocking with Fire.





* * *free and non-free
* I had started to think I had imagined this o_O .. but now I've went and made my Fire alt, I can see what it was. phew!
*Aldencek, amazing PvP Phase player. once seen him take out 3 guys solo who were harassing me and our then TO. he beat them 3 times.. then one only came back while the other two fled.. hahah he kikd that guys az.
*(Power Interactions, as known as 'secondary effects')
*former ORS staff members, one officer and our old PVP Capt. and TO (Tactical Officer) Sammy18. both full 98 gear iirc. Sad to see Sammy retire, but as we say in ORS.. RLFC (Real Life Comes First).


Healer Classes:
Nature
Sorcery

then*
Celestial
Electricity

Water (upcoming)


Nature
---------

Nature imho is a mix of Healer and Controller. It's also the very much 'do-it-all' of powersets affair..as you have access to different forms, if you are *very* low on cash, so-much-so you can't afford armories, nature is the way to go. Your forms become your armories..

While I don't really think you should run with only one armory, I've had staff with cash problems or DB didn't accept their payment method or country. Nature is one to consider.. you get access to all movement modes, and for each form you can choose a loadout. however with one caveat.. unlike armories your gear and SP allocation remains the same.

Nature used to be the 'go-to' PvP healer, but as my chinese whispers tell me, this has since been nerfed. The reason it was a great healer was the amount of heal back you got from only a little power.. also, nature healers could switch forms at anytime and go DPS.
oh! and the control effects in PvP used to be very strong..i don't know what they are like now.

Nature for a long time was the strongest PVE healer out of the healer classes, but again, my chinese whispers tell me, this has been nerfed.

I don't know why the Devs would nerf this power on all fronts .. perhaps becuase it's a free power and you can 'get-by' without armories .. or perhaps the rumors are untrue. DPS side is pretty weak.. there are better DPS's out there you can use for free.

I have a T7 Nature alt, I made her for PvP Healing, but now I hear that nature's nerfed for PvP healz, I don't think she will see much playtime.

Sorcery
-----------

Sorcery is very straightforward, you have three pets, one is a Tank, one a DPS and one a Healer.

Having armories for each is imho *essential*.. some people forget about Guardian, the Tank pet, as you get him early on in the game, however, when DC Alert was end-game, I rem, we were in an instance, I was healer and we were stuck for a tank, we managed to do it with Guardian as Tank. everyone was impressed :) .. I switched to my 'DPS Raid' armory which had comp healz and Guardian.

Just like Earth, I work on my WM for DPS and PoT Fury, and let Fury do the grunt work. very simple.
Same for healing, except I try not to draw aggro, so no WM. PoT Watcher, make sure I have any 'mats' down that the group needs, and keep a close eye on my power and their health. I have WoP on pretty much every char of mine. so I do build up a little just to help out the troller.

Grand Summon with max Lair Backup is crazy haha! my own Raid Party!

Celestial
--------
Celestial is known as the 'buff healer' as you are granted and grant many buffs while healing.. other healer classes do this to, but not to the extent of Celestial. Long range healing is a speciality too.

Celestial is a great power in general.. it's based on Wonder Woman and Circe, like Gadgets for Batman and Fire is for Superman.
I've seen Celestial players do crazy things in PVE.. like Celestial Tanking, due to the nature of the buffs granted, Celestial can express all roles.. I mean that, including PoTing the group like a controller.. 'Sacrifice' does all these things in spades.

Xigma was originally Celestial until T6, however, I found the animations took too long, and while I was doing them my group member/s would kill the mobs, and i'd just be standing there killing nothing.

Funny story.. I was running WWL duo as Zigma with a random player who was Celestial, we got near the end, and I had seen she was taking *ages* to kill the mobs.. so I killed two groups of mobs and turned round and she was still working on one group of mobs.. i was just floating there thinking 'oh man.. im so glad i switched' .. well she caught me staring and thought i was skating. we finished the instance.. and then you want to hear the griefing she gave me! 'fix your earth loadout noob!' and some such chat.. she had died three times since we started and me not once. She was 8 cr above me, +50SP and got 100 thousand dam ahead.. enough to grief at me i suppose..?? no.

Solo DPS I found super rough, but I've seen Celestial DPS do great in raids, taking huge whacks off bosses. it's a great power, and one day, i'll make a Celestial alt again.



Electricity
-------------

Electricity is imho a mix of Healer and Controller. Stun mixed with healing effects work well.
It's well known for one bad thing..the DPS is the weakest DPS of all classes/powersets. But you know what? the Healer side is *excellent!*.. if you're running duos with random players, and they see you are electric healer, they will welcome you, becuase they know they won't die. As long as they can burn sufficiently, and you can keep your power up to heal, no duo boss can kill you (both).

Electricity is known as the 'Tank Healer' becuase of the amount of raw heal you can give, you can even cover two tanks in a raid. Although with a caveat that the group (DPS's Controller) might suffer a little, but if you run with two healers you will be fine. You can also HoT the full raid party.



Water (upcoming)
--------

Water seems to be a mix of Controller and Healer.. I strongly suspect, if it's ready, it'll be shared at this year's (2016) Summertime Event, as the event itself is Aquaman based.

I'll update when the powerset comes out.

---------------

To sum up while Electricity and Nature are having some severe balancing problems, Sorcery and Celestial, more than compensate for them, if you're a free/premium player, Sorc is definitely the way to go, having strong abilities in all given roles. if membership/bought, having a Celestial main/alt, gives you much versatility in raids, also making you popular with group members for buffing/HoT/PoT/Shielding them so much.


* * *free and non-free

Controller Classes:

Gadgets
Mental

then*
Light
Munitions
Quantum

Gadgets
---------

Gadgets is imho a mix of Controller and DPS. In fact, with enough SP, it turns Damage Dealer or as close as, but I'll cover DD and powerset strengths later.

Gadgets has a trick up its sleeve for any occasion. And should be the 'go-to' controller class for DPS, the controller role, while not perfect, is very good, ..effective. little bit of tank thrown in

This in some ways was 'meant' to be a 'pet power' with the provided pet Turret, however, his DPS is very low, and his effectiveness for troller, is imho, very bad. You will find yourself relying more on the powers and AM then anything else.

Along with Quantum, these are the two top controller class DPS's. Some might say Mental.. but I find that it's balanced well with Rage and Atomic. My chinese whispers suggest, that Mental stacks per player like Atomic does in PVP, however i haven't had the chance to see or experience that myself.


Mental
---------
Mental is very much a controller, even in DPS stance, what I mean by that is; even though you do good damage, the style of the power is highly reliant on your ability to CC.

I've liked Mental more than I thought I would, having switched in march from Hard Light from launch.The controller side is great, easy to use, WM works well as does the AM.

What *was* good.. I read that now Mental PVP has been nerfed..was the crazy crits you'd get in PVP arenas, using Mass Terror also.. that was such a laugh! watching people's faces (actions the showed their emotions). I once killed an Ice Tank/DPS in PVP with Mass Hysteria. we were in Star Labs, in fact I killed him twice.. third time he came round to see if I was still there, which I was still in MH, we saw each other.. and he ran away! oh my sides! laughing and laughing! :') .. he had been killing my teammates over and over and i went and sorted him out hahaha

I'd recommend to any Mental DPS using Mass Hysteria, it's like Grand Summon but for Mental. Your movement mode gets bunked, but still you should be able to most any enemy.

Light
-------

Light in imho is a mix of Controller and Tank, I said we'd get to this and now we will, I don't know if HL was meant to be a Tank class originally, but it has many 'Tank' like features without the ability to protect yourself. Light Claws pulls you all the way to the boss when you're only trying PoT the group, you end up standing next to the tank looking like a doofus.

I'll stand by, what I've always said, HL is *very* good Debuff Troller. but as for the other roles.. oh man! this powerset has problems!

Even in troller role, you draw aggro out of nowhere! from all the long range attacks, your moves throw you around the map at bad guys or even at groups of bad guys or even at the boss! same in DPS role.

A recent update brought it damage (meant to be) in line with Rage.. Rage being the most balanced and centered powerset. I found, that I died just as quickly.. while giving out more damage. : ))

Something.. i feel had been missing in DCUO for a while.. Trollers having gear that significantly boosts health, not defense but health. it would imho match the RP of the role. Healers bodyguard.

I've been told that HL DPS, is not as bad as I thought it was.. but yknow.. believe me I tried.. no; I *tried*. I have 10 armories on Sigma trying to fix HL DPS, only 4 of them did I need, the other 6 was me trying to fix the dps side.

Light Blast is a great Debuff combo'd with stun.. used it loads of times to protect healers. it's the HL equivalent of Ragebringer. Triage should have been a group heal imho. Impact last i checked, used to give power to group members even in DPS role, that was pretty decent, however I don't know if it was intended. Snap Trap was good for both DPS and trolling. Chainsaw, good for DPS.

I know I complained a bit there, but I was a HL player vet, and I *have* made a new HL alt lvl 7, because this power has so much potential, that I still see in there. But, in future when I make the Infinite Combos, i'll exclude the moves that 'map pull' me.


Munitions
-------------

I don't have enough experience playing as muni to write about it.. and I haven't played with any muni players long term to learn more about it, so once I have my muni alt leveled, i'll come back and give my rundown.



Quantum
-------------

Quantum is very much a controller, even as DPS. saying that; imho, the DPS side is stronger than the troller side. Meaning more effective as DPS, even though that DPS is controller style (see Mental).

Last I checked it was also a great Vita-Troller too.. reasonable debuff-troller also. Like with Gadgets, if you pour SP into these powers, you DO get good returns. Quantum is *probably* the best Vita-Troller, combined with the ability to teleport to KO group members, makes for well rounded effective powerset.

At it's launch, it was unstoppable in PVP 1v1, as the players would use a OP CC effect that lasted way too long, then just WM x 3/4 to kill you. This has since been nerfed.

-------

To sum up, the controller classes are quite the mixed bag, I imagine trying to fit such a unique style of power into game..oh! didn't you know??.. Controllers are unique to DCUO! the team invented them.. well done team!.. i digress, style of power in the game, must be hard to determine how players will use said powers and how the player's style of play can be complemented by new powers. What 'powers do trollers need?' the dev team must prose.

If you peeps will take a shameless plug for Cosmic/Galactic troller powers.. please hit my other thread with a like :)

Third of it's Kind


Well, I've been writing this for 5 hours.. so i need a break.. phew!

have a great and bizarre day!

Sigma
-------------





oh! ..Before I go.. here is ATM (May 2016) the Powersets on order of Damage out.

Damage Dealer a.k.a DD

Ice (great for PVP)
Earth
Sorcery (good for PVP)

then almost DD, benefiting from 150 SP+:
Gadgets
Quantum
The more SP the better!


then :
Rage (decent for PVP)
Mental (good for PVP)
Celestial
Atomic (good for PVP)

then:
Nature
Fire (great for 1v1 PVP)

and to complete the sets, again, in my humble opinion;
Hard Light (recent update brought it more in line with Rage damage wise)
Electric

Celestial Healer is a great long range PVP healer. Sorc is DD.. but the damage is a slower burn than Ice or Earth.. but just as good once you cast Grand Summon, maybe better. Electric is super broken on DPS side.. I had used HL after the update, it did improve my damage but becuase the controller classes dps's are so weak defense wise, it didn't help me that much.


-----------------------

old signature for the forums coz it was here and i edited it out:

SigmaAtom Controller cr156 (Mental) /DPS cr155
ZigmaAtom Tank cr159 (Earth)/DPS cr 163 DD FINALLY after 2 and a half MONTHS!!
XigmaAtom Healer cr148 (Sorcery)/DPS cr 151
Zigma4tom QDPS cr98 (US Server)

OrderoftheRedSun : EU/US

Legends : Bizarro
EUPC Hero

(ORS is recruiting. pm for details)

SigmaAtom's Guide to Organising a League..

SigmaAtom's Quick Crash-Course to Strategy

A Collector's Guide to Trinket's and Miscellany

A PC Player's Guide to 60fps and Higher Resolutions

(We are a friendly dedicated league. We will never have more than 50 members, I feel this helps us get to know, serve and train members better.

We are polite.. what is the sense in driving people away from the community by flashing epeens? If a person is *truly* loyal to you, they will offer that loyalty, not need bullied into submission. Taking charge in mixed league situations, is tricky, politeness is key.. as the person or people you are with did not ask for another leaguer to tell them what to do. Their league staff has that job. and only them. I am not afraid of taking charge, I am afraid of ruining the community. EUPC players will remember the near community collapse in 2012 due to griefing, and while it is much less than it was then... these days in autumn 2015, i have seen it creeping back. This is what I teach: If you have a problem with how someone is playing, either be quiet and try to finish or politely excuse yourself and leave, let their league staff worry about them, you don't have to, they are not your problem. They need time to learn and time to be taught by their league staff.)
SigmaAtom, Yesterday at 9:59 PM EditReport#3Last edited by SigmaAtom, Yesterday at 10:08 PMReply
SigmaAtom
Well-Known Player

No comments:

Post a Comment